Hola!! We’ve arrived in Malaga and today I started working in a local theatre doing sound engineering. We’ve been here 5 days in total. Being a music production student our placements started a bit later than the other students because of the nature of our business. I highly recommend learning as much Spanish as possible before coming over. I found the Erasmus online Spanish course to be very difficult (couldn’t understand a word really!) Even though I travelled through south america for a while and have been learning Spanish from Duolingo.
I found duo lingo to be really good at helping me with the language and I also listened to CD’s from the library of conversational Spanish.
The locals are all very friendly and they really appreciate and encourage you to speak Spanish but you will get by speaking English. I cant say the same for the placement so I really do recommend learning as much as possible before coming over so you can make the most of Erazmus.
I’m really happy with the placement. Our apartment is really nice too. There is only one bedroom but there is a pull out couch, air con, a washing machine and a lovely bit of space. Our bathroom door doesn’t close what so ever so I guess that forced us to bond quicker lol.
So far, we haven’t had any problems. There have been loads of activities arranged for us too so that’s been great! Myself and the girls got really sunburnt on the first day so we missed the beach sports on the 4th day. Bit of a bummer but you live and learn I guess and we have not left the apartment without being drowned in SPF since.
I think it’s a good idea to explore the city and the culture as much as possible. I have been trying to see a new part of the city everyday and in the evenings we enjoy tapas and sangria together as a group. There were quite a few hangovers on the first week and I cant speak for the others but I’m personally reining it in now. Try not to bring the Irish drinking culture to Spain. It takes away from the whole experience. On Saturday we have a trip to Granada planned. I don’t know if we will make it because we may be working. I don’t really mind if we have to work. If we do we get to learn and we can always organise a trip between us all (the music production students). I have to keep reminding myself how this is a trip of a lifetime and the opportunities to shadow Denis and Carlos (bosses) is absolutely priceless so I really want to make the most of it and enjoy every minute.
I’m going to backtrack a little here and tell you guys about the first few days here, meeting our new bosses and the Europenera staff and the activities that have been planned so far.
So on the day that we arrived we were free to do as we wished. We all met in the square and got some food and drinks. The next day we met Ricardo and Migeul and another lady who’s name I cant remember (Lo siento señorita). They told us a little bit about what is expected of us while we are here and gave us some useful contacts in cases of emergency.
They were very nice and friendly. Afterwards they took us to our placements. Our placement was approx 50 minutes away and I really loved how Migeul came with us. He showed us how to use the local bus and he was able to translate for us when we met our boss. This was so unbelievably helpful. You cant help but feel nervous the day you go to your placement but Miguel really helps you to feel at ease! He can also do a pretty good Cork accent if you ask him! His English is great.
On our first week in our work placement we met with Carlos and Denis. They manage and Audio Visual company where they do sound and lighting. We got to set up for a theatre show on our first night and a concert on our second. It was so good!! I felt I learned loads just by shadowing Denis and in a weird way I think the language barrier helped us to learn more. I’m really enjoying the placement and looking forward to being back there!
On the second week I unfortunately contracted covid. Everyone was very helpful and accommodating and it was really unfortunate and disappointing that I couldn’t do my work placement but what can you do. I put my time into catching up on some personal work and finishing off the last of the college assignments. I should be okay for work next week.
I finally tested negative and went to Nerja, it’s a beautiful part of Spain and we all had a lovely time. It was hotter here than in Malaga so be prepared. We got some time at the beach and the water was lovely with lots of waves which I love! It would be nicer to have a little bit more time on the day trips but it’s still a lovely experience and so nice to have.
Overall I really enjoyed Erazmus, I would have liked to have worked more while I was here. I understand the nature of the business means you might not be working everyday but even if I had two placements that ensured I was able to get the most out of the experience as possible then I really feel that would be of great benefit.
I did find that the trip really helped me grow as a person. It taught me a lot about working together as a group and it gave me the confidence to actively look for work in my field when I return.
It also sparked an interest in living abroad for me. I love the Spanish culture and weather and I felt it did a lot for my own personal fulfilment being there. I learned a lot about myself as a person and a lot about how capable I am. I’m very excited to what the future may bring after this trip.
I will be adding pictures over the next few days!!
Comments
Post a Comment